Are children at greater risk from
pesticide poisoning than adults?
Children absorb greater concentrations of pesticides (poisons) per pound
of body weight through inhalation, ingestion and contact with the skin.
Children are more likely to play on treated floors and grounds. Unwashed
hands often find their way to the mouth or to unwrapped snacks.
Because many pesticides (poisons) are heavier than air, children’s breathing
areas are likely to have higher pesticide (poison) concentrations.
Children may not read, understand or pay attention to warning signs.
A child’s biology is different. Their immune system is less developed and
may be less protective.
Children are extremely vulnerable to classes of synthetic pesticides (poisons)
that mimic naturally occurring hormones or enzymes.
Developing cells are more easily damaged than cells that have completed
development. During the rapid growth period of childhood, cells divide
very quickly, making it more likely that a cellular mutation will be reproduced,
thus initiating cancer.
Because they are younger, children have a longer life span ahead of them
for chemically induced health problems to progress.
Small doses of neurotoxins can drastically impair the learning process
When poison tolerances are
tested, the suseptibilities of children