Ortho's Weed-B-Gon ignites in car leaving heavy poison mist.

The incident happened when the plastic container was sitting on the floor of my vehicle and "ignited" spewing a heavy cloud of pesticide. I believe that a static electrical current built up between the carpet and the container.

I removed all the upholstery from the vehicle and soaked the interior with baking soda and Tide detergent. I haven't done anything about the vinyl components of the dashboard and doors except soak them.

Is this car safe to drive?

Don Robinson


No, it is not safe to drive, particularly not until tested. 

Weed-B-Gon contains 17.8% 2,4-D isooctyl ester and 8.4% 2,4,5-TP silvex. The likelihood of dioxins in great. 

There is a Weed-B-Gon Bar which contains 18.0% 2,4,D- triethylamine salt. There is also Weed-B-Gon jet weeder, Wee-B-Gon Lawn Weed Killer and Weed-B-Gon M. All of these products are made by Chevron. 

You need to see the label on this jar to make sure what you have. I would not want to take a chance on having cleaned up the car only by taking out carpet, etc. Soap and water will not clean up these chlorinated herbicides. 

If there was any kind of fire or heat it could cause dioxins to convert to dibenzofurans which are very toxic. The combination of dioxins and dibenzofurans is very toxic. Unfortunately a dioxin analysis is $1.000. If he can get wipe samples of dashboard, flooring below carpet, seat upholstery, we can do 2,4D/2,4,5-T and 2,4,5-TP silvex. This analysis is $250 per sample.

Dr. Robert Simon 


[ Questions to Steve Site Map ]

[ Symptoms of Pesticide Poisoning ] [ Pesticide Articles Site Map ]
| Pesticide Injury Page  | Get Set Site Map |

Nontoxic Products Recommended by Steve Tvedten

Now Available

West / Central East
Safe 2 Use Safe Solutions, Inc.