50 Ill after drinking water from pesticide laden stream
50 ill after drinking from creek - Farmers' chemicals pollute water supply By Somsak Suksai
Tribal farmers have been warned to be more careful in their use of pesticides after 50 people became sick after drinking water from a creek last week.
Khian Piangkaew, chief of Lampang's Chae Hom district, said the victims were from Mae Chorfa village in Chae Hom district.
They fell ill after Makeu Yang, 40, a farmer in their community, brought water from the stream for them to drink while they helped him work his paddy field.
Chu Mukiang, head of Mae Chorfa village, said the stream was contaminated with pesticides applied by farmers living in upland areas. The chemicals were washed into the stream during heavy rain last week.
Buakaew Yang, one of those taken ill, said local farmers had used an excessive amount of pesticide as they thought it would kill the weeds quicker.
Termsak Phanomwan na Ayutthaya, assistant director of the tribespeople development centre, urged the tribespeople, particularly those living near watershed areas, to be more careful as excessive use of pesticides poses a threat to their health and water supplies.